fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts iheart radio the fantasy football show

I have the BEST 2020 Mock Draft right here for ya! Get some!

Eli Manning

IcemanIceman Posts: 5,308
Does get into the HOF? Does he deserve too?

I say Yes/No

Eli Manning QB, New York Giants
Eli Manning announced his retirement.

The 39-year-old two-time Super Bowl MVP will reportedly hang up his cleats with a 117-117 record over 16 seasons with the Giants. He quietly walks away with the seventh-most passing yards (57,023) and passing touchdowns (366) in league history, somehow never missing a game due to injury. Though his play clearly tailed off in his waning seasons before inevitably passing the torch to No. 6 overall pick Daniel Jones, Manning's perfect 38-yard rope to Mario Manningham in Super Bowl XLVI and, of course, his 32-yard strike to David Tyree's helmet in Super Bowl XLII will both live in perpetuity among February highlight reels. His two Super Bowl rings likely make him a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame despite conflicting opinions.
Source: Dan Graziano on Twitter
Jan 22, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

Comments

• NO

• HellAtlanticHellAtlantic Posts: 1,196
    Yes. Man won 2 SuperBowls and is career leader in many Giants categories.
  • rabidbucfanrabidbucfan Posts: 4,592
    Yes
    "The only place success comes before work is the dictionary" ~Vince Lombardi
    Mod - Sleeper U
  • He deserves it but I don’t think until his 3rd try.

Agreed - he doesn’t strike me as a 1st ballot HOFer. At no point in his career was he ever considered a top QB for a particular season. He’s had seasons where he was incredibly average and seasons where he didn’t suck, but he won’t ever be on anyone’s all-time list.
  • footballchixfootballchix Posts: 819
    edited January 23
    modern era hof qbs

Troy Aikman 1989-2000
    George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975
    Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983
    Len Dawson 1957-1975
    John Elway 1983-1998
    Brett Favre 1991-2010
    Dan Fouts 1973-1987
    Otto Graham 1946-1955
    Bob Griese 1967-1980
    Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974
    Jim Kelly 1986-1996
    Bobby Layne 1948-1962
    Dan Marino 1983-1999
    Joe Montana 1979-1994
    Warren Moon 1984-2000
    Joe Namath 1965-1977
    Ken Stabler 1970-1984
    Bart Starr 1956-1971
    Roger Staubach 1969-1979
    Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978
    Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964
    Johnny Unitas 1956-1973
    Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960
    Kurt Warner 1998-2009
    Bob Waterfield 1945-1952
    Steve Young 1985-1999

• Looking at this list, I may have to reconsider my thoughts to a "no". His closest comparable QB on this list is Kurt Warner, and I think Warner is a few notches better than Eli.

• farfromhomefarfromhome Posts: 1,693
    Hmmmm....right on the fence...top ten passing yards.....top ten in tds...has the numbers to be considered....two super bowls....has the hardware....amazing he played 17 years and never missed game due to injury....has the toughness...playing 17 years in New York market has to count for something... think u can really put him in based on above....my problem is that after living through his career at no time did I ever really think wow this guy is elite....I'm gonna say having the last name manning tilts it toward he gets in....
  • Joe nameth is not a hall of fame material but he got in. I consider Eli closer to him.

• swampiesswampies Posts: 4,035
    He’ll get in because of his two SB’s but not on he is not a first ballot But later on
    (I'm not a expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
    SleeperU Forum Moderator
    USA

Joe nameth is not a hall of fame material but he got in. I consider Eli closer to him.

Good name to bring up for the eli should be in fan base...looking at namaths credentials he prolly should not have gotten in....im guessing for his specific case what weighed heavily was his icon status....dude was an icon...eli was not....should be a fun debate
  • The HOF is not the elite, icons, game changers, or Once in lifetime players. It is more the Hall of the very good due to the annual requirement of X amount of players must be inducted.

The more I think about the hall of the very good the more I realize Eli is getting in just like Frank Gore. Long careers but never was a top player at his position during that long career.

edited January 23
    Heck if John Elway in the HOF then Eli will be
    image14-C4-F4-B1-A27-E-44-AB-9-A95-35-BE881-E7898" alt="" />
    SleeperU Forum Moderator
    USA
    Hard to compare players stats from different eras....league was quite different for Elway and eli...Frank gore makes another interesting case..u may be correct about it being the hall of very good....how many times was Frank gore top five in the league in rushing? Once in 2006? Over 1200 three out of fifteen years....double digit rushing tds once. Living through his era at no time did I think Frank gore is a hall of fame rb but he was really good for a stretch....
  • WTCMWTCM Posts: 11,983

He deserves it but I don’t think until his 3rd try.

This is probably the best scenario I can see. Mind you, his brother and father might have some flex involved. To me personally, he should not be in the Hall. He owns a .500 record. Not good enough. He merely had longevity. Are we seriously going to award that?? Then throw Rivers in the Hall too. The ring he won was on the back of his defense. Not a first rounder at all, but will eventually get in because of the 2 rings and longevity.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    imageCE8-DD91-C-334-B-43-DB-A521-63200-BFBD61-B
    upload a picture
    " alt="" />
    SleeperU Forum Moderator
    USA
  • OdellBeckhamSrOdellBeckhamSr Posts: 3,193
    Eli- In
    Big Ben - In
    Phylis Rivers- Out
    Matt Ryan- Out
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 5,308
    swampies said:

upload a picture
    " alt="" />

LMAO Swamps.....
  • CoolHandCoolHand Posts: 7,931
    Iceman said:

swampies said:

upload a picture
    " alt="" />

LMAO Swamps.....
    Hahaha!! Just what i needed before heading into a meeting! 👍🤣
  • Hilarious @swampies

Eli- In
    Big Ben - In
    Phylis Rivers- Out
    Matt Ryan- Out

Silverware makes a diff
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    Deion Sanders: They're letting too many players into the Hall of Fame...
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    I don’t agree with that stmt. Avg career is about 3-4 yrs plus with concussions/long term health being a huge concern for players I think we’ll start seeing a lot less of these 10-15 year career. They all can’t be Brady or Brees with these 20 yr careers.
    Ya he is no Philip rivers. : )