fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts smitty fantasy football goes live for 24 hours

View Replay of the Live 24 Hour+ Stream!

Another Offer...Which Side?

I was offered Julio Jones for David Johnson and Jarvis Landry. It's a 10 team PPR Dynasty League where we start 2 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 TE, & 1 RB/WR/TE Flex. My current RB's are Bell, DJ, KJ, & Ingram AND my WR's are Hopkins, JuJu, B. Cooks, Landry, Godwin, Pettis, Westbrook, and Washington. I won't give up DJ without getting another RB in return, so I was thinking about sending a counter offer of DJ & Landry for Julio & A. Jones.

Too much of a step down from DJ to Aaron Jones?

If I made the trade, I'd probably use Bell as my RB1 and alternate between Kerryon Johnson & Aaron Jones as my RB2. Then, I'd start Nuk, Julio, & JuJu, with Brandin Cook as my Flex. My TE is Kelce & my QB's are Cam and Watson. My bench would include Ingram (RB), Godwin (WR), Pettis (WR), Westbrook (WR), Washington(WR), and Howard (TE).

Is the upgrade at WR enough to counter the drop in RB2?
10 Team IDP/PPR Dynasty League (19 Keepers plus 4 Taxi Squad Players)  Start:  1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 2 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB - Must cut rosters down to 19 Active & 4 TS during the off-season
QB:  Newton, Watson   RB:  David Johnson, Bell, Ingram, AP, K. Johnson,Ware, Zenner WR: Hopkins, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Landry, Cook, Pettis TE:  Kelce, Howard, Brate PK: TBD    DL:  Dunlap, Hunter, JPP LB:  Mosley, E. Kendricks, Alexander, Martinez, Woodyard, J.Brown, E. Lee DB: Collins, Adams, R. Douglas, M. Thomas 
Taxi:  Westbrook (WR), C. Godwin (WR), Washington (WR), Edmonds(RB)

Comments

• lukeb5301lukeb5301 Posts: 1,823
    edited January 1
    I wouldn't be trading for an aging Julio
  • lukeb5301 said:

Julio just lead the league in receiving yards this year. He will only be 30 years old next season and with today's treatment with athletes body's that isn't bad. Antonio Brown is still getting it done and he will be 31 next season. Julio is the focus of the Falcons offense and he will continue to produce while DJ is well.... You really want any part of the Caridanls offense right now? Look at weeks 8-14 when A. Jones was the man for the Packers. He was top 5 fantasy RB in PPR where DJ was #13.

All that said... I don't make the trade. Injuries happen and I like your depth at the two positions. But an aging Julio makes me laugh as the reason not to make a trade.
    Winning Fantasy Football Championships is easier without pants on. Underwear is optional.
  • Hawk12Hawk12 Posts: 3,211
    I;'m not a Landry fan, and DJ is on a bad bad team.... I counter what you said and would be happy of that was accepted. Yeah Julio is older, I get that, he's got time left and is a beast.

Its a 10 teamer, elite players win those leagues, and I do not feel DJ's situation has a him being elite any more (his talent is, his TD potential is far from it), Landry is not and never will be elite IMO.
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 4,124
    An observation, every player named in these trade talks is going to be playing for new coaches with new schemes and perhaps/probably they're own players.... As most know on this forum I am somewhat of a conservative when it comes to trades this time of year in particular. From now until at least after the NFL draft many, many trades will be ruined without a play on the field being played, by coaching changes, free agency signings and rookies drafted. I would consider what is being discussed as too unpredictable at this time. This time of year trading should be done with extreme caution for the reasons stated IMO.
  • XtremeXtreme Posts: 4,010
    Iceman said:

An observation, every player named in these trade talks is going to be playing for new coaches with new schemes and perhaps/probably they're own players.... As most know on this forum I am somewhat of a conservative when it comes to trades this time of year in particular. From now until at least after the NFL draft many, many trades will be ruined without a play on the field being played, by coaching changes, free agency signings and rookies drafted. I would consider what is being discussed as too unpredictable at this time. This time of year trading should be done with extreme caution for the reasons stated IMO.

I love trading this time of year...and every time of the year! I like your counter for you and would send it.

lukeb5301 said:

Julio just lead the league in receiving yards this year. He will only be 30 years old next season and with today's treatment with athletes body's that isn't bad. Antonio Brown is still getting it done and he will be 31 next season. Julio is the focus of the Falcons offense and he will continue to produce while DJ is well.... You really want any part of the Caridanls offense right now? Look at weeks 8-14 when A. Jones was the man for the Packers. He was top 5 fantasy RB in PPR where DJ was #13.

All that said... I don't make the trade. Injuries happen and I like your depth at the two positions. But an aging Julio makes me laugh as the reason not to make a trade.
    Sorry I try to trade away aging vets not acquire them. Never did I say Julio wasn't good, or won't be good next year. But you trade for Julio now you're stuck with him as he slows down.

You make this trade you're left with
    Bell: who knows where he'll be, what kind of shape hes in with no football for a year, how he'll do without Steelers oline, etc.

Johnson: I like him, own him, but 1 year in hasn't been able to stay healthy

Jones: also like him, but has already been suspended and had injuries. Also has 1 game over 100 yards.

Again, I wasn't commenting in the specific trade, or stating Julio is bad. But I'd be looking to trade away Julio not acquire him
  • Doobie_SnacksDoobie_Snacks Posts: 570
    edited January 2
    lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

Sorry I try to trade away aging vets not acquire them. Never did I say Julio wasn't good, or won't be good next year. But you trade for Julio now you're stuck with him as he slows down.

Bell: who knows where he'll be, what kind of shape hes in with no football for a year, how he'll do without Steelers oline, etc.

Jones: also like him, but has already been suspended and had injuries. Also has 1 game over 100 yards.

Again, I wasn't commenting in the specific trade, or stating Julio is bad. But I'd be looking to trade away Julio not acquire him
    You didn't read what I said... I said I wouldn't make the trade. Side note with it being PPR A. Jones doesn't need to run for 100 yards to be effective. 40 yards rushing with a TD and 5 catches for 63 yards and a TD is effective. PPR you want a RB that can catch the ball. I said I like having depth. But I also don't plan more then about 2-3 years out with Dynasty and I do believe Julio will stay a top WR for those years.
    Winning Fantasy Football Championships is easier without pants on. Underwear is optional.
  • I agree about not looking more than 2 years in the future and if you can get AJones included, I would make the trade. Just Julio though, I pass.

lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

You didn't read what I said... I said I wouldn't make the trade. Side note with it being PPR A. Jones doesn't need to run for 100 yards to be effective. 40 yards rushing with a TD and 5 catches for 63 yards and a TD is effective. PPR you want a RB that can catch the ball. I said I like having depth. But I also don't plan more then about 2-3 years out with Dynasty and I do believe Julio will stay a top WR for those years.
    That said... DJ/Landry isn't getting Julio/AJones. But I'll still stick with my stance of not trading for aging vets. It's done me well so far
  • lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

That said... DJ/Landry isn't getting Julio/AJones. But I'll still stick with my stance of not trading for aging vets. It's done me well so far
    If he was able to get Julio and A. Jones for DJ/Laundry now that I would do in a heart beat. But I agree he isn't getting that trade. But as someone said earlier, in 10 man leagues studs win you championships and Julio is still a stud
  • BashmanBashman Posts: 260
    You're both right; DJ/Landry isn't enough for J.Jones/A. Jones. He has shown interest in OJ Howard, so I may make one last offer of DJ/Landry/Howard for J.Jones/A.Jones as my final offer. I like OJ...he was a top 6 TE before getting hurt and I believe he will be the next breakout TE, especially if TB hires an offensive minded head coach and OC.
    10 Team IDP/PPR Dynasty League (19 Keepers plus 4 Taxi Squad Players)  Start:  1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 2 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB - Must cut rosters down to 19 Active & 4 TS during the off-season
    QB:  Newton, Watson   RB:  David Johnson, Bell, Ingram, AP, K. Johnson,Ware, Zenner WR: Hopkins, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Landry, Cook, Pettis TE:  Kelce, Howard, Brate PK: TBD    DL:  Dunlap, Hunter, JPP LB:  Mosley, E. Kendricks, Alexander, Martinez, Woodyard, J.Brown, E. Lee DB: Collins, Adams, R. Douglas, M. Thomas 
  • XtremeXtreme Posts: 4,010
    Bashman said:

You're both right; DJ/Landry isn't enough for J.Jones/A. Jones. He has shown interest in OJ Howard, so I may make one last offer of DJ/Landry/Howard for J.Jones/A.Jones as my final offer. I like OJ...he was a top 6 TE before getting hurt and I believe he will be the next breakout TE, especially if TB hires an offensive minded head coach and OC.

I would pass on that...you should keep OJ Howard imo.
    Xtreme said:

Bashman said:

I would pass on that...you should keep OJ Howard imo.
    I haven't sent the offer and I think I"m going to keep what I've got...After all, I just won the championship with this team. I still need to cut or trade two players, but it will probably be two IDPs. We have to cut our rosters to 19 active and 4 TS...I'm sitting at 21 active.
  • Good move. Besides, when you ttll him that you’re staying pat, he will likely up his offer.

• Hawk12Hawk12 Posts: 3,211
    lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

I usually stick by that, but if you have a good team that is close to competing seriously - you make this move! I traded a lot for Antonio Brown this past offseason, picks, youthful talent - all that was building to a solid dynasty team. And all that future depth potential for one older player, all it did was win me a championship in a very tough league.
    Sure will it cost me more 3-4 years from now, probably. Do I care now, not at all, as I can make more trades or change up my team's philosophy towards building after each trade....

Not all cookie cutter approaches work all the time. Sometimes you trade out of the intended team building plan to get an elite player, sometimes you trade an elite player before its time to build something bigger in a couple of year....
  • wickerkat1212wickerkat1212 Posts: 1,245
    Hawk12 said:

lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

lukeb5301 said:

I usually stick by that, but if you have a good team that is close to competing seriously - you make this move! I traded a lot for Antonio Brown this past offseason, picks, youthful talent - all that was building to a solid dynasty team. And all that future depth potential for one older player, all it did was win me a championship in a very tough league.
    Sure will it cost me more 3-4 years from now, probably. Do I care now, not at all, as I can make more trades or change up my team's philosophy towards building after each trade....

Not all cookie cutter approaches work all the time. Sometimes you trade out of the intended team building plan to get an elite player, sometimes you trade an elite player before its time to build something bigger in a couple of year....
    Agree. I moved Bell and 1st round picks to get Tyreek and Allen, and it got me to the finals, 2nd place, and in the money.
    D3: QB—Allen, BIGBEN, Mariota, Rudolph; RB—COHEN, EE, Gore, HENRY, McGuire, Samuels; WR—Amendola, Chark, Gallup, LANDRY, MILLER, Reynolds, Sutton, THOMAS, Washington; TE—BURTON, Jonnu, Shaheen; PK—ZUERLEIN; DEF—RAVENS. // D4: QB—Fitzpatrick, Rudolph, WATSON, Winston; RB—COHEN, CONNER, Edmonds, HOWARD, Jackson, Samuels; WR—ALLEN, Amendola, Cain, Chark, Dorsett, GOLLADAY, Harris, HILL, JEFFERY, MILLER, Perriman, Williams; TE—Gesicki, McDonald, OLSEN, Watson; PK—GOSTKOWSKI; DEF—RAMS.

Good move. Besides, when you ttll him that you’re staying pat, he will likely up his offer.

Well, I thought this deal was dead, but I received the following offer from him today: I give Le'Veon Bell, Jarvis Landry, and OJ Howard for Julio Jones, Aaron Jones, and Jamaal Williams.

Julio is elite and I would expect him to play another 2-3 years, despite rumors of an early "Calvin Johnson" type of retirement. What does the Matt LeFleur hire do for Aaron Jones and he stay healthy? I don't mind moving Landry, but I gave up Dalvin Cook for Bell earlier this year...hoping he'd return to Pittsburgh for the playoffs...so, I am a little reluctant to trade him before I know where he's going. But, he's a little high risk after being out of football for so long...but, he also should return with a chip on his shoulder. I don't want to trade OJ Howard...I believe he'll be a top 5 TE starting next year and I have no interest in Jamaal Williams.

I'm probably overthinking it and I'll probably regret passing on the offer as is, but I may counter with Bell/Landry for A. Jones/J. Jones. Or, I could offer DJ instead of Bell...I know Arizona is a mess, but DJ still produced RB2 numbers this year and I have to believe Arizona will be better next year.

As always, I appreciate this groups insight, opinions, and football wisdom.
  • I keep what you have and I don't trade Bell and Laundry for Jones and Jones. Running backs that dont split time like Bell and DJ are a premium. Granted we don't know Bells situation or team this upcoming year but I'd imagine he will be an every down back for the money a team is going to pay to get him.

I hold tight for the moment personally

That's what I'm leaning towards too. I the idea of starting DJ/Bell and Nuk/JuJu/Cooks and either KJ or Landry at flex...and, having Kelce and Howard at TE.
  • CoolHandCoolHand Posts: 6,699
    Bashman said:

That's what I'm leaning towards too. I the idea of starting DJ/Bell and Nuk/JuJu/Cooks and either KJ or Landry at flex...and, having Kelce and Howard at TE.

Yeah, agree. That’s a nice starting lineup!
  • Yeah, don't tinker with a starting lineup like that. Julio is frustrating to own, so I would keep the (sure-to-be) bell-cow RBs in DJ and LeVeon.