fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts iheart radio the fantasy football show

Subscribe to The Fantasy Football Show.

Todd Gurley NOT hurt

SmittySmitty Posts: 8,240
edited February 5 in Bold Predictions
- Smitty
SleeperU.com

Comments

• Definitely concerned here. I would not spend a top 3 pick on him, if drafting today with this added risk. Probably not even a top 5 pick, quite honestly.
  • SMFFCNSMFFCN Posts: 1,878
    Honestly, I'm not concerned (yet).

That said, I'm very intrigued as to why his usage was scaled back so dramatically and them claiming he isn't injured. I'm wondering if there was lingering effects from the injury at the end of the season that don't require surgery.... but I don't understand why they wouldn't just address that out front.
  • chuckeycharleschuckeycharles Posts: 5,847
    RBBC with that FAT ASS CJA
    10 Team Dynasty - All TDs = 6 / PassingYd = .04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd = .10 / No-PPR / No Bonus
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - RB - RB/WR - WR - WR/TE - TE - DST - K
    QB - Wilson, Luck, J. Allen, Carr, Rosen / RB - Zeke, Kamara, DJ, Bell, D.Cook, Samuels, Guice, L.Miller, D.Foreman
    WR - Hopkins, M.Thomas, AJG, Godwin, M.Williams, Foster, A.Miller / TE - Gronk, Gesicki, OJHoward, M.Andrews
    DST - Ravens, Vikings / K - Lutz
    12 Team Dynasty - TDs = 4-6 / PassingYd 25=1 / Rushing-ReceivingYd 10=1 / PPR / Bonus 3 at 300-100
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - 2RB - 3WR - 1TE - 1FlexRWT - DST - K
    QB - Cousins, Trubisky, Darnold / RB - DJ, Ingram, K.Johnson, A.Jones, Crowell, JamaalWilliams, M.Davis, D.Harris, R.Armstead, A.Barnes
    WR - Hopkins, K.Allen, DK.Metcalf, Boykin, Westbrook, Humphries, DavidMoore, Cole, Sharpe, Baldwin / TE - Gronk, Walker, Gesicki, Hurst, V.McDonald, Dissley
    DST - Steelers / K - Lutz
  • I almost traded for him after Week 13 - sooooo glad I couldn’t get a deal done.

• SmittySmitty Posts: 8,240
    👌

I almost traded for him after Week 13 - sooooo glad I couldn’t get a deal done.

- Smitty
    SleeperU.com
  • LocalKineLocalKine Posts: 1,026
    Gurley did not amass 1800+ yards and 20+ TDs and then just suck as if the Monstars stole his talent. McVay, Gurley...they're lying in the name of their no excuses culture.
    10-team, non-PPR, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 FLEX, 1 TE.
    2019 keepers: QB Patrick Mahomes, RB Todd Gurley, RB Ezekiel Elliott, RB Dalvin Cook, RB Kerryon Johnson, WR Odell Beckham, WR Mike Evans, WR N'Keal Harry
    LocalKine said:

Gurley did not amass 1800+ yards and 20+ TDs and then just suck as if the Monstars stole his talent. McVay, Gurley...they're lying in the name of their no excuses culture.

But the injury piece occurs because of the ridiculous usage, which can add up all of the sudden. He will hit a wall and be mediocre... the question is, is that time now? A year? Two? That’s a call everyone needs to make for themselves.
    - Smitty
    SleeperU.com
  • LocalKineLocalKine Posts: 1,026
    Smitty said:

But the injury piece occurs because of the ridiculous usage, which can add up all of the sudden. He will hit a wall and be mediocre... the question is, is that time now? A year? Two? That’s a call everyone needs to make for themselves.

It's true, they all hit a wall at some point, but I'm not convinced Gurley will hit his at age 25.
    10-team, non-PPR, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 FLEX, 1 TE.
    2019 keepers: QB Patrick Mahomes, RB Todd Gurley, RB Ezekiel Elliott, RB Dalvin Cook, RB Kerryon Johnson, WR Odell Beckham, WR Mike Evans, WR N'Keal Harry
  • Smitty said:

LocalKine said:

A year from now? Two years from now? You do realize these are running backs right? At any given time they can fall off a cliff, that’s why when you have a chance to grab an elite RB you go for it cuz you know nothing is guaranteed. Every RB is a year or two away from mediocrity. Two years ago Devanta Freeman was the best RB in the game. Now not so much. You don’t not get Gurley if you have the chance because two years from now he might be mediocre.

edited February 6

Smitty said:

LocalKine said:

A year from now? Two years from now? You do realize these are running backs right? At any given time they can fall off a cliff, that’s why when you have a chance to grab an elite RB you go for it cuz you know nothing is guaranteed. Every RB is a year or two away from mediocrity. Two years ago Devanta Freeman was the best RB in the game. Now not so much. You don’t not get Gurley if you have the chance because two years from now he might be mediocre.

I think he gets hurt and can’t hold up EVEN if he starts off doing well. I’m sure I’ll hear a lot of “you got lucky he got hurt” but the writing is on the wall that he will get hurt in 2019. Imo.
    - Smitty
    SleeperU.com
  • rabidbucfanrabidbucfan Posts: 3,953
    Might be a couple of issues here. First off Gurley - he did not pass the eye test over the last few games. Either it's between the ears or something physical. Not sure yet.
    Secondly-McVay took a team that Jeff Fisher couldn't get points from (because he sucks) to s high flying offense. Until there got to be more tape of his offense. Now he has to figure out how to coach situational football. Also, a work in progress.
    Not sure what the hells gonna come of this.
    "The only place success comes before work is the dictionary" ~Vince Lombardi
    Mod - Sleeper U
  • chuckeycharleschuckeycharles Posts: 5,847

Might be a couple of issues here. First off Gurley - he did not pass the eye test over the last few games. Either it's between the ears or something physical. Not sure yet.
    Secondly-McVay took a team that Jeff Fisher couldn't get points from (because he sucks) to s high flying offense. Until there got to be more tape of his offense. Now he has to figure out how to coach situational football. Also, a work in progress.

Uhhhhh... that would be Gurley in the black trunks

10 Team Dynasty - All TDs = 6 / PassingYd = .04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd = .10 / No-PPR / No Bonus
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - RB - RB/WR - WR - WR/TE - TE - DST - K
    QB - Wilson, Luck, J. Allen, Carr, Rosen / RB - Zeke, Kamara, DJ, Bell, D.Cook, Samuels, Guice, L.Miller, D.Foreman
    WR - Hopkins, M.Thomas, AJG, Godwin, M.Williams, Foster, A.Miller / TE - Gronk, Gesicki, OJHoward, M.Andrews
    DST - Ravens, Vikings / K - Lutz
    12 Team Dynasty - TDs = 4-6 / PassingYd 25=1 / Rushing-ReceivingYd 10=1 / PPR / Bonus 3 at 300-100
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - 2RB - 3WR - 1TE - 1FlexRWT - DST - K
    QB - Cousins, Trubisky, Darnold / RB - DJ, Ingram, K.Johnson, A.Jones, Crowell, JamaalWilliams, M.Davis, D.Harris, R.Armstead, A.Barnes
    WR - Hopkins, K.Allen, DK.Metcalf, Boykin, Westbrook, Humphries, DavidMoore, Cole, Sharpe, Baldwin / TE - Gronk, Walker, Gesicki, Hurst, V.McDonald, Dissley
    DST - Steelers / K - Lutz
  • Might be a couple of issues here. First off Gurley - he did not pass the eye test over the last few games. Either it's between the ears or something physical. Not sure yet.

I agree here. I figured defenses would slightly catch on to McVay’s high octane offense this year, being that they would have had a full offseason to do so. I was wrong, but maybe they are slowly catching on now?

I thought Goff was the weakness and teams should focus on stopping the run, well we didn’t see it much during the regular season. But, New England made that their focal point and the Rams were stopped.

Even though the Rams put up 26 points on the Saints, Gurley still hasn’t passed the eye test. Something is definitely not right here. Is it Gurley? The defenses catching on? McVay not adjusting? Who knows.
  • wh0urdadywh0urdady Posts: 3,332
    Goff is a good qb until you pressure him, he doesn’t react well to pressure. Bears really exposed that offense and a team that can rush the qb and use that to stop the run stop that offense.
    QB: Cousins, Jackson Bortles, Dalton
    RB: Mixon, Hunt, Coleman, Ware, Breida
    WR: Julio, M Thomas, Golladay, DT, Crabtree, Agholor, Higgins , Moncrief
    TE: Gronk, Rudy, ASJ, Kittle
    DST: LA Rams

Taxi
    Guice
    Callaway
  • Losing Cooper Kupp hurt the offense a LOT more than people realized. With him gone, there was nobody keeping the defense from focusing all their efforts on Gurley.

• boobam13boobam13 Posts: 1,990

Losing Cooper Kupp hurt the offense a LOT more than people realized. With him gone, there was nobody keeping the defense from focusing all their efforts on Gurley.

was just going to say this - the whole team took a step back after Kupp went down - i am a gurley owner and very concerned
    just wondering what a good return would be
  • SMFFCNSMFFCN Posts: 1,878

Losing Cooper Kupp hurt the offense a LOT more than people realized. With him gone, there was nobody keeping the defense from focusing all their efforts on Gurley.

This is something a lot of people don't look at. Kupp certainly isn't flashy but had a great rookie season and was on pace for a fantastic sophomore campaign. Woods filled in nicely, but Goff and that offense didn't look the same to me.
  • C.J. Anderson believes Gurley's late-season knee injury was "a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself," Cameron DaSilva of USA Today reports. "I would say sprained knee," Anderson said. "Obviously, it's the same knee injury he's had before in his career. Obviously I had surgery on my meniscus and once you have a knee, you always have a knee."

Analysis: Gurley and coach Sean McVay both insisted the 24-year-old was healthy throughout the playoffs, while running backs coach Skip Peete suggested Gurley technically was healthy but never regained his peak conditioning after missing Weeks 16 and 17. It's interesting to hear Anderson sound so skeptical, especially because his willingness to talk about the injury might be taken as a hint he doesn't expect to re-sign with Los Angeles. The controversy over Gurley's playoff role may not go away anytime soon, but that doesn't mean it will have any impact on his ability to shoulder a huge workload for the third straight season in 2019. Concerns about durability or volume won't push him out of the first round in fantasy drafts, but they could be enough to leave him behind the likes of Saquon Barkley and Ezekiel Elliott at the very top.
    SleeperU Forum Moderator
  • ray9erdadray9erdad Posts: 225
    I can definitely see a decline coming. BUT, I think this was more of a nonchalant stab at more playing time/raise MORE of a concern on CJ's part...
    B2B Champ, 10 Team Dyno, PPR, 2 Flex, 6 pt TD, IDP
    MAHOMES, Jimmy G.
    MONTY, COLEMAN, Drake, Singletary, Duke, Darwin, Pollard
    NUK, ADAMS, ANTONIO, DIGGS, Kupp, Pettis, McLaurin
    HOWARD, Vance
    FAIRBAIRN
    DL)
    LB) LITTLETON, BUSH, KWON, Onwausor
    DB) JOHN JOHN, Peppers