fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts iheart radio the fantasy football show

The NEW SleeperU.com is here... Check it out!

📰 Who has NEWS for the NEWSWIRE 📰❓

Comments

• CoolHandCoolHand Posts: 8,759
    Iceman said:

David Culley C, Houston Texans
    Texans hired Ravens passing game coordinator David Culley to be their head coach.

Houston Chronicle's John McClain had it first. Culley's hiring comes out of nowhere. The 65-year-old assistant has been in the NFL since 1994, yet has never called plays. His tenure as a positional coach includes being the WR coach for a Chiefs offense that scored zero WR touchdowns, being the QB coach for Josh Allen's 10/12 TD/INT rookie season, and being the passing-game coordinator of the Ravens most recently. That plays into why Culley has never interviewed for a head coaching job outside of this one time in Houston. The attention immediately turns to how Deshaun Watson views Culley, who becomes the second minority coach to be hired this cycle. Watson wanted Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy to be considered, but he never seemed to be a serious candidate to Jack Easterby, GM Nick Caserio, and Cal McNair. Houston remains the epicenter of NFL drama heading into the offseason. Culley will have his hands full right away with the media, with his franchise quarterback, and with filling out a coaching staff. He's a respected leader within NFL circles, so perhaps he has success in a CEO-like role. Not every head coach needs to be the next offensive genius after all, and he may be able to relate to Watson.
    Related:

Baltimore Ravens

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
    Jan 27, 2021, 9:36 PM ET

Passing game coordinator... the Ravens have a passing game?! Not since Lamar has been the Qb 🤷‍♂️
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 7,635
    Deshaun Watson QB, Houston Texans
    ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Deshaun Watson has requested to be traded from the Texans.

It's been long reported that Watson wants out of Houston, but this is the first time his request has been considered "official." Schefter adds that Watson actually hasn’t spoken to new Texans general manager Nick Caserio nor executive Jack Easterby since the former's decision has already been made. With a no-trade clause baked into his deal, the 25-year-old will ultimately choose his own suitor on the market. One after another, Houston's dumbfounding decisions and cronyism in the front office transparently highlight an organization that has no direction or intention of winning in either the near future or long-term, resulting in this decision. Whomever lands Watson will merely take on a team-friendly $10.54 million cap hit in 2021 and have its franchise cornerstone locked up under center through the 2025 season.
    Related:

New York Jets, Miami Dolphins

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    Jan 28, 2021, 9:56 AM ET
  • WTCMWTCM Posts: 13,504
    I'm sure Dak will be watching this very closely.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    Watson is being a baby.... these damn athletes sign a contract and then when things go south, they demand this crap. Guess what, you signed a contract.... you want out, you give everything back that you got already from that same contract. Man up and show the youth who look up to you how a person should act.

I’m getting sick and tired that type of mindset! 🤦‍♂️
    CoolHand said:

Watson is being a baby.... these damn athletes sign a contract and then when things go south, they demand this crap. Guess what, you signed a contract.... you want out, you give everything back that you got already from that same contract. Man up and show the youth who look up to you how a person should act.

If you watch O'Brien give away your top favorite target for an aging one year wonder RB. Other key position players for pennies. All while losing draft picks in the process. Then not even being involved in the process of selecting a GM, I'd be pissed too. Houston has quickly forgotten the years of David Carr, Weeden and plenty others. They had a great, team player QB and blew it.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • wickerkat1212wickerkat1212 Posts: 2,708
    WTCM said:

CoolHand said:

If you watch O'Brien give away your top favorite target for an aging one year wonder RB. Other key position players for pennies. All while losing draft picks in the process. Then not even being involved in the process of selecting a GM, I'd be pissed too. Houston has quickly forgotten the years of David Carr, Weeden and plenty others. They had a great, team player QB and blew it.
    Agree. I'd want out, too.
    D3:
    QB—Allen, Lamar, Big Ben RB—Zeke, Henry, Cohen, Mostert, Evans (R), Coleman, Pollard, McFarland WR—MThomas, Diggs, Lamb (R), Claypool, Lazard, Hardman, Beasley, Coutee TE—Tonyan, Jonnu, Graham PK—Lutz DEF—Ravens

D4:
    QB—Watson, Stafford, Big Ben, Alex Smith RB—Conner, David & Duke Johnson, Edmonds, Cohen, Breida, Ty Johnson WR—Hill, Allen, Golladay, Jeudy (R), Jefferson (R), Jones, Jeffery, Tre'Quan, Amendola TE—LThomas, Smith, Reed, Kmet, Trautman PK—Bass DEF—Bears

Superflex:
    QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Hill RB—Kamara, Singletary, Mostert, Cohen, Booker, Ito, Perine WR—Claypool, Beasley, MJones, Ward, Pascal, Hardman, Reynolds, Higgins, Tre'Quan, Fitz TE—LThomas, Graham, Hurst, Kmet PK—Gano DEF—Seahawks
    But you signed and are obligated to the contract you signed. You can’t just throw a fit and ball about it and get your way.... that’s part of our damn problem as a society right now. Accountability.... you signed a huge contract, now abide by it or there should be big consequences such as given EVERYTHING back. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and we'll give you a participation trophy on your way out. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
    CoolHand said:

But you signed and are obligated to the contract you signed. You can’t just throw a fit and ball about it and get your way.... that’s part of our damn problem as a society right now. Accountability.... you signed a huge contract, now abide by it or there should be big consequences such as given EVERYTHING back. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and we'll give you a participation trophy on your way out. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

LOL....
    Steelers owner Art Rooney II said there would have to be "significant concessions" for Ben Roethlisberger to be back with the team in 2021.

Roethlisberger's $41.2M cap hit won't work for the Steelers with the reduction in salary cap, Rooney said. It's a loaded statement about a soon-to-be 39-year-old QB who struggled mightily through large parts of the 2020 season. Roethlisberger's adjusted yards per attempt has plummeted over the past couple seasons and he struggled with accuracy at times in 2020, coming off elbow surgery. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said "it’s reasonable to assume there is a chance [Ben Roethlisberger] is going to be back, certainly," shortly after the team was embarrassed by the Browns in the Wild Card round. Rooney's statement creates real questions about whether Roethlisberger will give it one last go with Pittsburgh. The Steelers will have to grapple with difficult salary cap decisions in the coming months.
    Source: Brooke Pryor on Twitter
    Jan 28, 2021, 2:26 PM ET
  • OdellBeckhamSrOdellBeckhamSr Posts: 3,654
    $41.2 Mil. LOL. Big Ben "I really want to play 1 more year". Um, Im sure you are Ben. If he really wants to win he should re-negotiate for $5Million next year.

I like Watson-but I don't think a QB should have a say in who the owner wants as a GM. Play out your contract & then become a free agent if you want out. Or don't sign that long term deal
    So just play and shut up? I'm sure he wanted to help the team and put pieces together to improve the team. That's not being negative, I'm pretty sure Brady had a lot to do with Antonio Brown and Gronk being signed. Isn't that the task of the GM?
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    WTCM said:

So just play and shut up? I'm sure he wanted to help the team and put pieces together to improve the team. That's not being negative, I'm pretty sure Brady had a lot to do with Antonio Brown and Gronk being signed. Isn't that the task of the GM?

Two ways to answer this imo.... simple, straight line answer is yes.
    The other answer is simply have a discussion with the front office discussing the changes taking place and that you’d be willing to be a part of it and offer input if they’d be willing to make you a part of it. If they decline, you need to accept that and then not bawl like a baby and demand a trade. You’re still binded by that contract. Sorry, not sorry. Know what I mean?

Just my opinion obviously.
    I understand what you're saying but this is 2021. Nearly all face of the franchise players have some say in the direction in which the team is going. This is key when it comes time to resigning that player when the contract term is up. Nobody said Watson has final say, just to have an input.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • wickerkat1212wickerkat1212 Posts: 2,708
    If you promise your QB input on coaches, and don't do that, if you trade away his best WRs and make it harder for him to succeed, if you leave him out of the loop, YES, he has a contract, but he has the right to renegotiate or ask for a trade. Both sides have leverage and use it when they can.
    D3:
    QB—Allen, Lamar, Big Ben RB—Zeke, Henry, Cohen, Mostert, Evans (R), Coleman, Pollard, McFarland WR—MThomas, Diggs, Lamb (R), Claypool, Lazard, Hardman, Beasley, Coutee TE—Tonyan, Jonnu, Graham PK—Lutz DEF—Ravens

D4:
    QB—Watson, Stafford, Big Ben, Alex Smith RB—Conner, David & Duke Johnson, Edmonds, Cohen, Breida, Ty Johnson WR—Hill, Allen, Golladay, Jeudy (R), Jefferson (R), Jones, Jeffery, Tre'Quan, Amendola TE—LThomas, Smith, Reed, Kmet, Trautman PK—Bass DEF—Bears

Superflex:
    QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Hill RB—Kamara, Singletary, Mostert, Cohen, Booker, Ito, Perine WR—Claypool, Beasley, MJones, Ward, Pascal, Hardman, Reynolds, Higgins, Tre'Quan, Fitz TE—LThomas, Graham, Hurst, Kmet PK—Gano DEF—Seahawks
    edited January 29
    You also have a right to quit. But that's semantics at this point
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • CoolHand said:

WTCM said:

Two ways to answer this imo.... simple, straight line answer is yes.
    The other answer is simply have a discussion with the front office discussing the changes taking place and that you’d be willing to be a part of it and offer input if they’d be willing to make you a part of it. If they decline, you need to accept that and then not bawl like a baby and demand a trade. You’re still binded by that contract. Sorry, not sorry. Know what I mean?

Just my opinion obviously.
    I don't know if you are aware, but this mainly stems from them telling Watson he would have a part in the hiring process of GM, and they hired without input from him. The organization blew it on this one...don't blow smoke to your franchise player.
    12 Team PPR Dynasty
    QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, Flex RB/WR/TE

Wentz, Tannehill
    S Barkley, J Jacobs, C Carson, R Freeman, Dobbins
    AJ Brown, T Hill, C Kupp, DJ Chark, Lamb, Jefferson
    Kelce, Higbee
  • OdellBeckhamSrOdellBeckhamSr Posts: 3,654
    Texans did listen to Watson on what he wanted & who he wanted. They just went another direction from his input, he is upset that he found out on Twitter who was hired.

@ this point the Texans should deal him if they can get 3or4-1sts, 2-2nds & 2- key players. Radio guy from Texans said that is what he is hearing it will take.
    If I wasn't traded. Boy would I be sick often!
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    Moral of this is we don’t know which story is right, whether it’s 100% truth and so on...

It just adds to what society is already and what it’s becoming.
    edited January 29
    Shane Bowen DC, Tennessee Titans
    Titans promoted Shane Bowen to defensive coordinator.

Bowen has been Tennessee's outside linebackers coach the last three seasons. The Titans went without a defensive coordinator last year after Dean Peas left, but Bowen took on a larger role. He'll be officially promoted this season, though HC Mike Vrabel may still handle the playcalling, so this isn't much of a change. Tennessee was 24th in points allowed and 28th in yards allowed under Vrabel and Bowen in 2020.
    Source: ESPN
    Jan 29, 2021, 12:47 PM ET

Lovie Smith DC, Houston Texans
    Texans hired Lovie Smith as defensive coordinator.

Smith returns to the NFL after spending the last five years as the head coach at Illinois. He'll serve as the defensive playcaller for first-time HC David Culley. A Texas native, Smith gives Houston experience and a proven track record at the coordinator position, though he's never had a great winning percentage, going 89-87 overall as a head coach and 17-39 with Illinois. The Texans are staying in-house with OC Tim Kelly, but the pairing of Smith and Culley should improve a defense that allowed the third-most yards in the league last season.
    Source: NFL Network
    Jan 29, 2021, 9:46 AM ET

Todd Downing C, Tennessee Titans
    Titans promoted Todd Downing to offensive coordinator.

Downing replaces Arthur Smith, who was hired as the Falcons' head coach this offseason. This is Downing's second stint as an offensive coordinator, as he previously served as Raiders' playcaller in 2017. The Titans never showed much outside interest, with Texans QB coach Pep Hamilton the only other candidate to interview for the job. With Downing promoted, Tennessee may look to hire a defensive coordinator after going without one the last two seasons.
    Source: NFL Network
    Jan 29, 2021, 9:20 AM ET
    This should be a good thing.....

Mike Pettine out in Green Bay
    Posted by Michael David Smith on January 29, 2021, 5:18 PM EST
    Green Bay Packers v San Francisco 49ers
    Getty Images

The Packers need a new defensive coordinator.

Mike Pettine’s contract is expiring and he will not return to Green Bay in 2021, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

That’s not a big surprise, given that the Packers’ defense had some letdowns in their NFC Championship Game loss to the Buccaneers, most notably giving up a long touchdown pass from Tom Brady to Scotty Miller just before halftime. A lapse like that wouldn’t cost a coach his job if everything else were going swimmingly, but there were plenty of times during the 2020 season that the Packers’ defense didn’t look particularly well-coached, and head coach Matt LaFleur hinted after the loss to the Buccaneers that he wasn’t happy with Pettine.

Now Pettine, the former Browns head coach who has also been a defensive coordinator with the Jets and Bills, will try to find a new job. And the Packers will try to find a coordinator who can get their defense playing at a Super Bowl level after a year in which they fell just short.
    Matthew Stafford QB, Detroit Lions
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said to "expect" a trade involving Matthew Stafford before the Super Bowl.

Even Lions coach Dan Campbell said trade talks were "hot and heavy". A deal will get done very shortly after the Lions agreed with Stafford that a change of scenery is best for both sides. The Rams have inquired about getting a deal done for Stafford, but they'd need to find a trade partner for Jared Goff and his contract for that to work under the salary cap. The 49ers, Colts, Football Team, Patriots, and others are also expected to inquire. Stafford, 33, comes with cap hits of $33 million and $26 million over the next two seasons, although the Lions would eat $19 million of that when he's dealt. Stafford could be the first domino to fall in what could be a massive game of musical chairs in the quarterback market.
    Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Jan 30, 2021, 1:38 PM ET
  • chuckeycharleschuckeycharles Posts: 7,019
    Iceman said:

Matthew Stafford QB, Detroit Lions
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said to "expect" a trade involving Matthew Stafford before the Super Bowl.

Even Lions coach Dan Campbell said trade talks were "hot and heavy". A deal will get done very shortly after the Lions agreed with Stafford that a change of scenery is best for both sides. The Rams have inquired about getting a deal done for Stafford, but they'd need to find a trade partner for Jared Goff and his contract for that to work under the salary cap. The 49ers, Colts, Football Team, Patriots, and others are also expected to inquire. Stafford, 33, comes with cap hits of $33 million and $26 million over the next two seasons, although the Lions would eat $19 million of that when he's dealt. Stafford could be the first domino to fall in what could be a massive game of musical chairs in the quarterback market.
    Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Jan 30, 2021, 1:38 PM ET

Hope this happens so I can bring back the "Jared Goff is not an NFL quarterback thread"... Although, I will be forced to sell Stafford which is something that I was planning to do anyway
    10 Team Dynasty - All TDs = 6 / PassingYd = .04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd = .10 / No-PPR / No Bonus
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - RB - RB/WR - WR - WR/TE - TE - DST - K
    QB - J.Allen, J.Herbert, R.Wilson, Stafford / RB - Kamara, D.Cook, Zeke, Saquon, Mattison, Pollard, Latavius Murray, Gallman
    WR - M.Thomas, Hopkins, Godwin, A.J.Brown, Chark, Lamb, Claypool, Mooney / TE - M.Andrews. Hockenson, Gesicki, Hurst, Knox
    DST - Ravens, Buccaneers / K - Sanders
    12 Team Dynasty - TDs = 4-6 / PassingYd =.04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd =.10 / PPR / Bonus 3 at 300-100
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - 2RB - 3WR - 1TE - 1FlexRWT - DST - K
    QB - Cousins, Darnold, Marriota / RB - R.Jones, Dillon, D.Harris, Ingram, DJ, K.Johnson, R.Armstead, Benjamin, McKissic
    WR DK.Metcalf, Claypool, Perriman, Hamler, Boykin, Byrd, DavidMoore, Guyton / TE - Gesicki, Hurst, Trautman, Knox
    DST - Steelers, Buccaneers / K - Lutz
  • Doobie_SnacksDoobie_Snacks Posts: 4,877
    Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is heading to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for quarterback Jared Goff and a multitude of draft picks, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday night.

The Lions will receive a third-round pick in 2021, a first-round pick in 2022 and a first-round pick in 2023 in what is the first exchange of former No. 1 overall picks in the common draft era (since 1967). The deal cannot be made official until the start of the new league year on March 17.
    Winning Fantasy Football Championships is easier without pants on.
    That trade is crazy to me. Can’t believe the Rams gave up that much but whatever. Bet Stafford is happy about going to a team that’s competing.
    Interesting that Stafford adamantly did not want to join the Patriots.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    WTCM said:

Interesting that Stafford adamantly did not want to join the Patriots.

I wouldn’t want to either. 🤷‍♂️
    It'll take 2 special guys to make something like this work...

Eric Studesville OC, Miami Dolphins
    Dolphins named Eric Studesville and George Godsey co-offensive coordinators.

Both Godsey -- Miami's tight end coach -- and Studesville -- the team's running backs coach -- get promotions and will combine to fill one of the league's last offensive coordinator openings. It's an odd arrangement but one that keeps both coaches in the organization and at the head of an offense captained by an inexperienced and sometimes-shaky QB. Both coaches had success with their respective positions in 2020: Myles Gaskin emerged as a reliable every-down running back while Mike Gesicki shined as an explosive pass catcher who creates mismatches in the secondary. Godsey and Studesville will now be tasked with developing the team's Tua-led offense to match the caliber of Miami's excellent defense.
    Related:

George Godsey, Tua Tagovailoa

Source: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter
    Feb 2, 2021, 12:02 PM ET
    Andy Reid HC, Kansas City Chiefs
    The Chiefs reported no new positive COVID-19 tests in the team's latest round of testing.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported no players of staffers tested positive after Demarcus Robinson and backup center Daniel Kilgore were placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Both players are considered close contacts of someone who has the virus, meaning they have a chance to gain clearance before the Super Bowl on Sunday. Kilgore's barber reportedly tested positive for COVID, making him a close contact. We've entered the window in which a player considered to be a close contact might not have time to be cleared before Sunday.
    Related:

Demarcus Robinson, Daniel Kilgore

Source: Ian Rapaport on Twitter
    Feb 2, 2021, 7:59 AM ET
    Roger Goodell COM, NFL
    NFL Network's Tom Pelissero believes the 2021 NFL salary cap will settle at around $185 million.

The NFL and NFLPA are still negotiating what the final number will be, but it is heading towards being higher than the $175 million minimum the two sides agreed to last summer. Teams may not learn what the official number will be until just hours or days before free agency begins. The league is still projecting how many fans will be able to attend 2021 games, something that's mostly out of the league's control. The hope is that vaccinations are ramped up over the next months and that stadiums can be at or near full capacity next fall. The difference between a $175 million and $185 million salary cap may sound small for a roster of over 50 players, but it will be the difference between some veterans being cut or staying on their current deal. The belief is that this will be a buyer's market as many players battle for fewer dollars available. Expect more short-term deals from veterans, who will look to land a more lucrative contract the following season when the salary cap inevitably explodes.
    Source: NFL.com
    Feb 3, 2021, 9:44 PM ET