fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts iheart radio the fantasy football show

Regular Content is here... starting with this new Bold Prediction. Get some!

Mahomes Signs

IcemanIceman Posts: 6,103
Patrick Mahomes QB, Kansas City Chiefs
Chiefs signed Patrick Mahomes to a 10-year, $450 million contract extension.

It's the largest contract in American sports history, although Mike Trout's 12-year, $426.5 million contract had far more guaranteed -- Mahomes' injury guarantee is "only" $140 million. Mahomes' $45 million annual contract value is $10 million more than Russell Wilson's. All things considered, this still is a pretty good deal for the Chiefs. They get a decade's worth of team control over the best player in the NFL, and the end of Mahomes' contract could be a great value because it is not tied to the salary cap as was first reported. With that said, it's likely that Mahomes renegotiates this contract after the guarantees run out. Only 24 years old, Mahomes already has a Super Bowl and regular-season MVP under his belt. The Chiefs could be the NFL's next dynasty if GM Brett Veach can find values with a chunk of his cap tied to Mahomes.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jul 6, 2020, 5:02 PM ET

Comments

• OdellBeckhamSrOdellBeckhamSr Posts: 3,379
    & the Chiefs window to win has been closed a little bit.. Mahomes made $1Mil last year. Now set to make $45Mil. That has to put a dent in their talented roster.

When is Kelce contract up? Time bomb Tyreek up?
    Jones is holding out for his Franchise tag......
  • DAXDAX Posts: 1,881
    Ridiculous. When will these qbs realise they're nothing without the team around them, the selfish pricks.
  • WTCMWTCM Posts: 12,262
    He seems like a QB that will go the same route as Brady did and restructure his bonuses to accommodate assets. He's knows he's only as good as his playmakers. Kelly looks to be a Chief for life. Hill we don't know, but Mecole might be the next who knows. This team does know how to draft though.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 6,103
    Patrick Mahomes QB, Kansas City Chiefs
    NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Patrick Mahomes' 10-year contract is worth $503 million and includes $477 million in "guaranteed mechanisms."

It's still a 10-year extension, but the new numbers are far better for Mahomes than initially reported. It makes him the first American athlete to sign a contract worth a half billion dollars, and the reported "guarantees" went from $140 million to $477 million. The fine details of this will be confusing, likely containing options, rolling guarantees, and other fancy agent lingo. The bottom line is the quarterback market is finally catching up to a quarterback's true on-field worth. Mahomes will be making $50 million annually for the next decade plus, a cool $15 million more than Russell Wilson. It's certainly a gamble worth taking for the Chiefs, as Mahomes is on an unprecedented early-career trajectory.
    Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Jul 6, 2020, 6:27 PM ET
    Great news for the rest of NFL & Mahomes.

• chuckeycharleschuckeycharles Posts: 6,332
    I still don't like his cocky demeanor
    10 Team Dynasty - All TDs = 6 / PassingYd = .04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd = .10 / No-PPR / No Bonus
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - RB - RB/WR - WR - WR/TE - TE - DST - K
    QB - Wilson, J. Allen, Stafford, Minshew, Bridgewater, Haskins / RB - Saquon, Zeke, Kamara, D.Cook, Mattison, Pollard
    WR - M.Thomas, Hopkins, Godwin, A.J.Brown, Chark, AJG, M.Williams, H.Butler / TE - M.Andrews. Hockenson, Gesicki, Hurst, OJ Howard
    DST - Ravens, Vikings / K - Gay
    12 Team Dynasty - TDs = 4-6 / PassingYd =.04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd =.10 / PPR / Bonus 3 at 300-100
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - 2RB - 3WR - 1TE - 1FlexRWT - DST - K
    QB - Cousins, Darnold, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick / RB - A.Jones, Ingram, DJ, K.Johnson, Dillon, JamaalWilliams, D.Harris, R.Armstead, Benjamin
    WR - Hopkins, K.Allen, DK.Metcalf, Claypool, Perriman, Boykin, Westbrook, Valdes-Scantling / TE - Gesicki, Hurst, Trautman, Dissly, V.McDonald, Griffin
    DST - Steelers, Buccaneers / K - Lutz
  • Wow - I agree that this will likely cripple the team’s ability to retain other talent.

• ...but he is definitely worth it!

I can't see how this will work well in the locker room. He's just told them he wants a quarter of the cap. So the other 52 players have make do with 75% of the cap.

Not sure how resentment doesn't set in.
    DAX said:

I can't see how this will work well in the locker room. He's just told them he wants a quarter of the cap. So the other 52 players have make do with 75% of the cap.

Not sure how resentment doesn't set in.

Was he suppose to reject this type of offer given to him? If anything this will lead to an increase in cap. Majority of players including his teammates said he deserved the contract, which is is ridiculous to say being half a billion dollars but he's the best in the game right now.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 6,103
    Will remain to be seen how this contract is designed, hearing reports it is back loaded to give the team the ability to sign players now as they feel they are in a window of opportunity for Superbowl runs the next few years. Cap will grow as the contract does, we'll see but sounds like they may have something that won't cripple the team, 10 yrs gave them flexibility.
    Somewhere Dak is doing back flips..
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • HellAtlanticHellAtlantic Posts: 1,420
    WTCM said:

Has Dak won a Super Bowl that I missed? Led the league in a category? Not sure what Mahomes got would affect Dak. I’d pay Lamar more than Dak as of today, at least Lamar has an elite skill. Dak to me has always been a discount Cam and should be paid closer to what Cam got in his prime than what Mahomes got. Heck, even Cam has an MVP award under his belt.
  • wickerkat1212wickerkat1212 Posts: 2,316
    Cocky demeanor? LOL Really? ARod is way more of a jerk. I've seen WAY worse. I think he's worth every penny. And he has a TON of talent around him. They seemed to do okay when Tyreek went out before, right? Some haters on here, wow. LOL
    D3:
    QB—Allen, Big Ben, Fitz, Tyrod
    RB—EE, Henry, Cohen, Mostert, Evans (R), Coleman, JSamuels, Pollard
    WR—MThomas, Diggs, Chark, Harry, Lamb (R), Hardman, Butler, Lazard
    TE—Doyle, Jonnu, Thomas
    PK—Zuerlein
    DEF—Ravens

D4:
    QB—Watson, Stafford, Fitz
    RB—Conner, David & Duke Johnson, Cohen, Howard, Breida, Burkhead, JSamuels, Edmonds
    WR—Hill, Allen, Golladay, Jeudy (R), Jeffery, Jefferson (R), Amendola, Miller, Butler, Watson
    TE—Olsen, Thomas, Kmet, Trautman
    PK—Gostkowski, Prater
    DEF—Bears, Jags

WTCM said:

Has Dak won a Super Bowl that I missed? Led the league in a category? Not sure what Mahomes got would affect Dak. I’d pay Lamar more than Dak as of today, at least Lamar has an elite skill. Dak to me has always been a discount Cam and should be paid closer to what Cam got in his prime than what Mahomes got. Heck, even Cam has an MVP award under his belt.
    Everything you said is true. But he's due for a pay increase, and he's the starting QB for the Cowboys.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • HellAtlanticHellAtlantic Posts: 1,420
    WTCM said:

WTCM said:

Everything you said is true. But he's due for a pay increase, and he's the starting QB for the Cowboys.
    Totally. I just hope the Cowboys don’t pay him more than Mahomes because to date Dak hasn’t done anything worthy of breaking the bank.

Cocky demeanor? LOL Really? ARod is way more of a jerk. I've seen WAY worse. I think he's worth every penny. And he has a TON of talent around him. They seemed to do okay when Tyreek went out before, right? Some haters on here, wow. LOL

For the record... I despise ARod about equally. However, ARod has a MUCH LARGER BODY OF WORK
    10 Team Dynasty - All TDs = 6 / PassingYd = .04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd = .10 / No-PPR / No Bonus
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - RB - RB/WR - WR - WR/TE - TE - DST - K
    QB - Wilson, J. Allen, Stafford, Minshew, Bridgewater, Haskins / RB - Saquon, Zeke, Kamara, D.Cook, Mattison, Pollard
    WR - M.Thomas, Hopkins, Godwin, A.J.Brown, Chark, AJG, M.Williams, H.Butler / TE - M.Andrews. Hockenson, Gesicki, Hurst, OJ Howard
    12 Team Dynasty - TDs = 4-6 / PassingYd =.04 / Rushing-ReceivingYd =.10 / PPR / Bonus 3 at 300-100
    - - - - - - - - - - - Starting requirements = QB - 2RB - 3WR - 1TE - 1FlexRWT - DST - K
    QB - Cousins, Darnold, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick / RB - A.Jones, Ingram, DJ, K.Johnson, Dillon, JamaalWilliams, D.Harris, R.Armstead, Benjamin
    WR - Hopkins, K.Allen, DK.Metcalf, Claypool, Perriman, Boykin, Westbrook, Valdes-Scantling / TE - Gesicki, Hurst, Trautman, Dissly, V.McDonald, Griffin
  • farfromhomefarfromhome Posts: 1,972
    Get your money kid....it's funny how we sit back and want these players to put the team first....zero percent chance I don't take more money at my job cause it would pay me more then my peers....zero

Get your money kid....it's funny how we sit back and want these players to put the team first....zero percent chance I don't take more money at my job cause it would pay me more then my peers....zero

Exactly!
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    edited July 8
    No player is worth 25% if the cap.

I hate how much credit qbs get for wins. It's a team game. Mahommes can't do shit if the oline doesn't block and the wrs don't get open.

Remember when the packers were gonna win 5 superbowls with ARod?

Team game and qbs think it's all about them.

Well I think Mahomes is the clear cut #1 Player in the League & still has upside to get even better (if possible), now it could backfire if he does have 25% of the cap- but I read he is still on rookie cap numbers for the next 2 years..... 2027 he is set to make $57Mill, so Im sure it will get restructured by then. The more Ive looked @ the deal it is pretty Chief friendly. As a Bronco fan I hope its more of a Marino start to Mahomes career & he never gets back to a Super Bowl but that is highly unlikely.

Well I think Mahomes is the clear cut #1 Player in the League & still has upside to get even better (if possible), now it could backfire if he does have 25% of the cap- but I read he is still on rookie cap numbers for the next 2 years..... 2027 he is set to make $57Mill, so Im sure it will get restructured by then. The more Ive looked @ the deal it is pretty Chief friendly. As a Bronco fan I hope its more of a Marino start to Mahomes career & he never gets back to a Super Bowl but that is highly unlikely.

To late for that since he already has a ring
  • farfromhomefarfromhome Posts: 1,972
    I am not debating the idea if 25 percent of cap to one player is not bad....I actually think it hurts teams chances ...I will say speaking on the economics of it I'd be willing to bet he is 50 percent of jersey sales....add in his brand to the community and u have a cash cow
    first 3 years of the deal he gets $10.8m, $22.8m then $29.5m. after that he gets into the 40m and 50m yearly amounts.

as always the headline is much worse than the real details of the contract.