fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts iheart radio the fantasy football show

I have the BEST 2020 Mock Draft right here for ya! Get some!

Antonio Gates

IcemanIceman Posts: 5,318
Antonio Gates TE, Unsigned Free Agent
Former Chargers TE Antonio Gates announced his retirement from the NFL after 16 seasons.

The 39-year-old Gates last played in 2018. The Chargers lifer and former Kent State power forward retires with 116 career touchdown catches, tops among NFL tight ends and good for seventh-most all-time. An eight-time Pro Bowler, Gates was arguably the most feared tight end in football throughout his prime, operating as the chief red-zone weapon for both Drew Brees and Philip Rivers during his 16-year run in San Diego/Los Angeles. He contributed two 1,000-yard receiving seasons while also reaching double-digit touchdowns on four occasions. Gates never won a Super Bowl—or even played in one—but there's no doubt he'll go down as one of the greatest tight ends to ever lace them up. A Hall of Fame shoe-in, Gates won't have to wait long for his enshrinement in Canton.
Related:

Los Angeles Chargers

Source: Antonio Gates on Twitter
Jan 14, 2020, 2:11 PM ET

Comments

• WTCMWTCM Posts: 11,990
    Canton bound
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • swampiesswampies Posts: 4,042
    Maybe he’ll come back once again when the chargers sign Brady lol
    (I'm not a expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
    SleeperU Forum Moderator
    USA
    swampies said:

Maybe he’ll come back once again when the chargers sign Brady lol

They can sign the entire probowl roster, he's simply out of juice.
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • One of the best late round picks I made many moons ago...
    12 Team PPR Dynasty
    QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, Flex RB/WR/TE

Wentz,
    S Barkley, J Jacobs, C Carson, R Freeman
    AJ Brown, C Davis, T Hill, J Doctson, C Kupp, A Isabella, D Cain, A Callaway
    Kelce, V McDonald, Gesicki
    3 2020 1sts

• KookaburraKookaburra Posts: 1,530
    Rivers to Gates won many, many games for me over the years. Strange to look back and see some of the connections. Ed McCaffrey was a fixture on those teams as well, which spiked my interest in his young son's career with "uncle" John Elway and his dad training him. Now CMC is on both my teams.
    Man Rivers is old. Its like he's had a kid for every year he's been in the NFL lol
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
  • HellAtlanticHellAtlantic Posts: 1,208
    Brady, Rivers and Brees need to hang em up or become backups. Game is no fun when 38, 40 yr olds are still playing. Just have a 10-12 yr career and hang em up and make room for the next generation.

Brady, Rivers and Brees need to hang em up or become backups. Game is no fun when 38, 40 yr olds are still playing. Just have a 10-12 yr career and hang em up and make room for the next generation.

Have you done that at work?
    My work doesn’t involve fans who are tired of seeing me come to work everyday nor is it based on athletic performance, of which Brady, Rivers and Brees have none of.
    Doesn't mean you wouldn't hang on to the bitter end. Not defending them...just saying
    Which is why teams need to proactively move on from them - athletes will hang on far longer than they should.
    edited January 17

Which is why teams need to proactively move on from them - athletes will hang on far longer than they should.

While i'm agreeing with this statement. Its hard to do such if the QB is becomes well knit with the community, owner, gm, and the rest of the team. Look how long it took to pry the job away from Eli, being such a staple in NY. I get its a business, but complacency does become an issue
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    I think we’re seeing a slow death to the prototypical pocket passer QB. I think more and more we’re going to see QBs who offer some minimum of running. This is why QBs like Lamar, DeShaun, Kyler and Josh Allen are becoming more and more frequent. The Brady, Brees and Rivers types offer nothing as far as running is concerned.
  • swampiesswampies Posts: 4,042

I think we’re seeing a slow death to the prototypical pocket passer QB. I think more and more we’re going to see QBs who offer some minimum of running. This is why QBs like Lamar, DeShaun, Kyler and Josh Allen are becoming more and more frequent. The Brady, Brees and Rivers types offer nothing as far as running is concerned.

If that is the case then their records will never be broken because these types of QB’s will never last with a very short career
    (I'm not a expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
    SleeperU Forum Moderator
    USA
  • swampies said:

If that is the case then their records will never be broken because these types of QB’s will never last with a very short career
    100% agree with this!

Agreed
  • farfromhomefarfromhome Posts: 1,696
    Was a pleasure to watch and be a fantasy owner of this beast for many years....nothing but love for you mr gates...
  • PDTDTPDTDT Posts: 683
    edited February 9

Have you done that at work?

My job doesn't pay multi-millions per year either, I'll have to work until I die, new generation or not
    Cousins, Dalton
    DJohnson, DCook, JHoward
    AJGreen, DHop, SDiggs
    DNjoku