fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts iheart radio the fantasy football show

Join me 1 HOUR before SUN Kickoff on my YOUTUBE Show... Ask questions live!

Henderson will not win you a league

bruceflashbruceflash Posts: 190
edited September 9 in Redraft Only
Smitty got the right read on Gurley. If you watched the game, you can tell he was playing tenative. Ran out of bounds instead of fighting for extra yards multiple times. But he got the handcuff wrong. It's obviously Malcolm Brown. In seasonal leagues, I would dump my shares of Hendy if you can get the "it was only one game" guy to bite. Hold in dynasty and hope he can become another Maurice Jones-Drew. First time SleeperU subscriber. Told Smitty I would be a repeat subscriber if Hendy wins me my league (or gets me in the money with a Top 3 finish). Return On Investment not looking good so far.

Comments

• DAXDAX Posts: 1,592
    Yeah, that 7 yards per run really emphasised how tentative Gurley was out there.

• swampiesswampies Posts: 3,579
    Lol obviously you determining this by one game! Big mistake don’t over react after week one that would be a rookie mistake
    (I'm not a expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
    SleeperU Forum Moderator
    USA
  • SmittySmitty Posts: 8,387
    I love ya @bruceflash , but how exactly can anyone write Hendy off with 1 carry? Situation is hurting his early-season value, but I think people are getting this twisted thinking the changing of the guard has to happen in Week 1 lol ... I can tell this is going to be the thing I repeat most for 2-3 weeks lol Oh boy.
    - Smitty
    SleeperU.com
  • You shouldn't have been starting Hendy at this point and time anyways.
    QB - Dak and Brady
    RB - David Johnson, Derrick Henry, Melvin Gordon, Crowell (IR), Mack, Shady
    WR - Mike Thomas, TY, Boyd, Jeffery, Robert Foster, Baldwin ( Retired)
    TE - Ebron, Brate
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 4,749
    edited September 9
    This IS the 1st and best over reaction Monday of the 2019 season. ;) =)
  • Just stop.

The most he’s shown is he caught a few passes in a preseason game, if you watched the week 1 game Henderson was NOT a factor and Malcolm Brown is clearly the RB to own on the Rams going forward. The Rams keep going like this, siphoning touches from Gurley to give to Brown they’ll keep Gurley fresh all year thereby eliminating the need to get a 3rd back involved.

Learn to see things for what they are and not for what you want them to be. You’ll win more leagues that way.
  • cablejackscablejacks Posts: 486
    Week 1
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday
  • Sure did look like they don't plan on using Henderson early in the season. So far I have remorse over picking him at 1.04. Glad I got Singletary at 2.02.
  • bruceflashbruceflash Posts: 190
    @DAX You obviously didn't watch the game and just looked at the box score. The guy was running out of bounds avoiding contact and was outcarried inside the 10 by Malcolm Brown. Can't power out a goalline run when you're running tenative and not wanting to make contact. Rams must agree with me since that's how they played him. Unless you're saying he was tired from his 7 yards a carry against light fronts? Context matters.
  • WTCMWTCM Posts: 10,885

@DAX You obviously didn't watch the game and just looked at the box score. The guy was running out of bounds avoiding contact and was outcarried inside the 10 by Malcolm Brown. Can't power out a goalline run when you're running tenative and not wanting to make contact. Rams must agree with me since that's how they played him. Unless you're saying he was tired from his 7 yards a carry against light fronts? Context matters.

Why do you sound so familiar..
    I'm an asshole from:
    Montreal, Canada  image
    Also creator of this:
    I hope I'm wrong. Drafted Hendy high in one of my dynasty leagues devoted to Sleeper U (Don't ask me about Monty...ha!). But it's not an overreaction when the guy hasn't done anything at the NFL level including the pre-season. The Rams matched the Lions offer for Malcolm Brown in free agency and gave him starter treatment in the pre-season by resting him. Then got most of the goalline work against the Panthers and was the clear #2. The signs were there that Brown was the true handcuff and I have actually more shares of Brown then Hendy in leagues. But I'm willing to let it play out and will hold my 1 share of Hendy in my devoted Sleeper U dynasty league for the entire 2019 season.

i've pretty much seen every one of his carries in the nfl. did he look tentative when they used him extensively in the 4th qtr when they need to get a td and then to ice the game? so he ran out of bounds, he's done that many time in his career.
    @DAX To answer your question, yes he did. You're confusing results as a way to justify if a guy is playing injured or not. Mahomes hurt his ankle yesterday but still balled out. But watching the game, you can tell he was walking with a limp and was favoring the other leg. I see the same with Gurley. Playing hurt and playing tenatively to protect an injured knee. If you don't see it, go out and trade for him. Personally I'm trying to grab as many shares of Malcolm Brown as I can. Preferably as a "throw in" player in a much larger trade. I agree with Smitty in this regards. Todd Gurley isn't playing a full 16 game season.
  • TheDudeTheDude Posts: 2,109
    Fantasy isn't won on week one...or lost. Just get your team to the playoffs where anything can happen.

@DAX To answer your question, yes he did. You're confusing results as a way to justify if a guy is playing injured or not. Mahomes hurt his ankle yesterday but still balled out. But watching the game, you can tell he was walking with a limp and was favoring the other leg. I see the same with Gurley. Playing hurt and playing tenatively to protect an injured knee. If you don't see it, go out and trade for him. Personally I'm trying to grab as many shares of Malcolm Brown as I can. Preferably as a "throw in" player in a much larger trade. I agree with Smitty in this regards. Todd Gurley isn't playing a full 16 game season.

i'm not confusing anything.
    edited September 9
    Hmmm...then I'm not sure why your challenging my opinion that he's running tenative and playing injured with stats as if good production means healthy player.
    Here, let me help out

You: "@bruceflash....Doesn't look tentative to me. Certainly isn't hurting his production. Although the extensive use of Brown inside the ten yard line gives reason for concern".

Me: "Can't argue with you there. I don't own any shares of Gurley so I'm not going to sweat it"
    edited September 9
    i've stated many times in the offseason that the rams would cut back gurley's workload and try to preserve his health so he can be at his best for the playoffs.

his usage didn't surprise me at all. and brown is a good, solid rb that is built to make the tough yards. brown scores or gurley scores, it's all good to me. the only concern is if they overuse brown and he gets injured again.

and seriously i couldn't give a rat's arse about his fantasy production. i want him out there at his best in the playoffs, not the shell of himself we saw the last two seasons.
  • holdenbmxholdenbmx Posts: 149
    I can totally see the rationality of Bruceflash argument, but I will submit, since Hendy is a rookie, and from a small school, the Rams will give him more time to sit and watch, not rush him in there. He was probably overwhelmed, makes sense. The question is if he develops, and that will come down to his football IQ. It's like rushing rookie QB with talent, you gotta give him confidence, let him sit this one out, get his feet wet, but what will happen is, once he rips off one big one, everything changes, suddenly he starts getting more run, his confidence grows, he starts believing he belongs...and then we'll see, or...his skill set is not NFL level, we will soon find out, but at least give him 20-30 carries in a real game before writing him off.
  • Yep. I'm holding him in Dynasty but I can't justify holding any 3rd string running back in a seasonal league. It would be different if he had a game scripted role like goal line back or receiving back that I could try to take advantage of. But he holds neither of those roles. And unlike Alvin Kamara's breakout rookie season who Smitty has compared Henderson to, there's not some old vet like Adrian Peterson ahead of him on the depth chart. While not a sexy name in the fantasy community, Malcolm Brown is 26 years old with prototypical bell cow size and actually has a higher SPARQ-x score than Henderson (for those who think talent rises to the top). I think Brown is a good back and wish I had 100% ownership of him in all my leagues. He was basically free in every draft I was in.
  • boyzballboyzball Posts: 972
    What is should have been is Josh Jacobs can win you a league. He is going off right now in Oakland hitting pay dirt twice.
    In this life you find something to live for and do it. If you can't find nothing to live for then find something or someone to die for dammit. ~ Quote from wise man ~
    Its only a matter of time before the knee give more problems. In the mean time M Brown is a solid grab imo. Gurley goes down, I think it Brown over Hendy.
    In this life you find something to live for and do it. If you can't find nothing to live for then find something or someone to die for dammit. ~ Quote from wise man ~
  • CoolHandCoolHand Posts: 7,439
    Ok, let’s stop the back and forth because it’s no longer a debate... it sounds like a pi$$ing match. Time will tell
  • @CoolHand Yeah, I agree. I thought we put it to bed but then he shows me Matt Waldman breakdowns. The same Matt Waldman who said Hakeem Butler was the best WR prospect he's ever seen. @DAX , your Rams are garbage and Gurley is playing hurt & tenative. Sorry man. Maybe next year.
  • XtremeXtreme Posts: 4,340
    My only regret is dropping m.brown at roster cuts (after acquiring Gurley as my rb3/4). I thought Henderson would emerge as the handcuff (and he still may).
    Xtreme said:

My only regret is dropping m.brown at roster cuts (after acquiring Gurley as my rb3/4). I thought Henderson would emerge as the handcuff (and he still may).

ouch.
  • He still may? Everyone in the NFL is one injury away from being relevant that doesn’t mean you invest anything in them for a 16 week season. Ppl invested in Jakobi Myers and he’s now like 4th or 5th on the depth chart. You gonna waste a roster spot on that? Unless you’re in dynasty where you can essentially bury a guy on your roster and never look at him for the entire yr (like I am with Noah Fant and N’Keal Harry) you have to play the guys who are performing, not wait half the season for a guy to get his chance. No player can win your league in about 5 or 6 weeks of playing time.

@CoolHand Yeah, I agree. I thought we put it to bed but then he shows me Matt Waldman breakdowns. The same Matt Waldman who said Hakeem Butler was the best WR prospect he's ever seen. @DAX , your Rams are garbage and Gurley is playing hurt & tenative. Sorry man. Maybe next year.

haha, ok.

listening to some guy instead of watching the tape.
  • ScorpScorp Posts: 375
    I'm going to ignore and simply pass up any talk of hendy's 9.0 ypc average, and simply say, this is Todd Gurley we were trying to upset.
    Disfunctional Maniac