Who are the RB1s in 2016?

smitty fantasy football advice

Below are the Fantasy Football RB1s heading into the 2016 fantasy football season. These running backs are ranked based on redraft, but I have added some dynasty commentary to many of the names listed, so I have you dynasty folks covered, don’t worry. But, I wanted them ranked for 2016 initially. Enjoy.

The Elite Locks at RB1

1. Todd Gurley
2. LeVeon Bell
3. David Johnson
4. Devonta Freeman

Locks At RB1, But Beware?

5. Lamar Miller
6. Doug Martin
7. Lesean Mccoy
8. Demarco Murray
9. Cj Anderson
10. Adrian Peterson
11. Jamaal Charles
12. Thomas Rawls

1. Smitty on April 10, 2016 at 7:25 am

Thoughts?

• Chuck Fox on April 10, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Smitty,

Looks like I am dialed in for 2016 with 3 of the first 4 and 3 of the next 8.

I traded Martin for Rawls straight up last year, at the beginning of week 4, Martin started to produce. But, in all honesty, I’d rather have Rawls and think that, all things considered, he was actually better than Martin last year.

• Smitty on April 11, 2016 at 4:48 am

Nice work, Chuck Fox! Rawls is a Sleeper, and he was one of the first Bold Prediction additions months ago before his rise in value. He is hard to get cheap now, and you are right to like him!

2. rabidbucfan on April 10, 2016 at 7:52 am

Good list Smitty. Is Coleman going to eat into Freeman’s carrys? I can see AP being in that elite list one more time. Do you think E.Elliott at Philly would be right below Rawls?

• Smitty on April 11, 2016 at 4:50 am

Elliott will be a sneaky RB1 this year I think. Once drafted, and once in a landing spot, I’ll write more on him and where he fits into this kinda value.

As for Coleman, it’s possible, but no more possible than any other backup, like Karlos Williams to Freeman. Freeman was a beast last year. I love the doubt, it allows me to buy at low risk levels.

3. Whos_Ur_Doggie on April 11, 2016 at 10:58 am

Excellent list Smitty. I could argue that D. Murray belongs up in the elite lock category based on everything coming out of TEN.

• Smitty on April 11, 2016 at 11:48 am

You might be right. I hope you’re right. I have been buying low all off-season, he has a real strong chance of being his old self given TEN went after him. I think moving teams, coming off a bust year, there are reasons to have him in the second tier, but I totally think it can be argued like you said, no question.