Buy-Low On These 5 Running Backs

smitty fantasy football advice

As we head into Week 3, here are a list of Running Backs to Buy-Low. From dynasty to redraft, these players below are soon likely to be on the rise!

Todd Gurley (RB/STL)

Redraft & Dynasty

Again, like mentioned just above with Melvin Gordon, you won’t be able to buy-low in dynasty, but you can buy at what most would consider ‘fair’ value right now. Considering his future is brighter than most think, buying now is buying low if you ask me. Now, the problem you’re going to find in acquiring Gurley right now, in any format, is that his owner has been waiting for him to play all off-season. Given he is about to take the field, that owner is going to think, ‘no way I trade him now!” That’s why you can’t just go asking for Gurley in a deal one-for-one. Get creative. Go after another player and make Gurley a part of that deal. When you ‘dilute’ a fantasy owner’s urges to protect any single player on their roster (hence, you are doing a 2-for-2, or a 3-for-2, etc.), well, then you increase your odds (by a lot) that the fantasy owner in question will not hold onto stubborn trade instincts. Get creative!

TJ Yeldon (RB/JAC)

Redraft & Dynasty

This kid looks good. He hasn’t dropped that monster game just yet, but I see it on the horizon, and I see it happening this week. Denard Robinson is out with a sprained MCL, which means that it’s time to get the popcorn ready. If you ask me, he has high-end RB2-type upside moving forward, and it’s last call for buying low.

Carlos Hyde (RB/SF)

Redraft & Dynasty

He was one of my biggest breakouts this off-season, and he made all his owners proud after his Week 1 eruption. Then, he got banged up and struggled to produce in Week 2. Now, I’m not saying his fantasy owners are going to revert back to valuing him as a low-end RB2, but I can guarantee you many of his owners have questions rolling into Week 3. Some of those owners might be worried about injury, others might wonder if selling high is the safest play. Buy-low in all formats while he likely has a nice downtick in fantasy value.

Ameer Abdullah (RB/DET)

Redraft & Dynasty

His absence in fantasy relevance in Week 2 was a great thing for those looking to buy Ameer Abdullah shares on the decline. Try getting in on some AA shares this week (in all formats, especially dynasty). If he doesn’t do much in Week 3, this advice will still apply heading into Week 4. We never expected him to be sprinting out of the gate, so nothing has changed since the preseason. He is a secret weapon rusher, one that should thrive down the stretch.

Melvin Gordon (RB/SD)

Redraft & Dynasty

Like TJ Yeldon, I feel a big game coming, at which point buying even somewhat low will no longer be an option. We are talking redraft. In dynasty, it’s tough imagining any of his owners selling low, however, buying at RB2-type value is advised in redraft, as I envision more RB1-type numbers for the future. I am considering that buying low in dynasty. I love Gordon, Yeldon and Todd Gurley in dynasty… these three rushers will help make up the future of fantasy football at the running back position.

1. Smitty on September 24, 2015 at 6:26 am

Thoughts? Players to add?

2. Noah Blum on September 24, 2015 at 7:27 am

matt jones , best aquired in a big multi player deal, and high upside guys josh ribinson and k Williams have my eye.

I personally have a crap load of Zachary zennner on my roster till next year, I see a split with AA and he’s free……

• Smitty on September 24, 2015 at 8:13 am

Keep it coming, Noah, you’re ways strong with the comments!!

3. Whos_Ur_Doggie on September 24, 2015 at 10:40 am

Finally…… Some talk about my boy Yeldon! I’m still calling him the best RB out of this draft class. Just give it some time. We will all see.

• Smitty on September 24, 2015 at 11:51 am

Yes, Sir, he is ready to rumble. This is the week I think…

4. Ray on September 24, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Tevin Coleman possibly?…. Everyone knows the lackluster O-line, but getting to run against that division all year is intriguing if he can protect his damn body!

• Smitty on September 25, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Yeah, he is a good buy-low as well, Ray!

5. gary zabunian on September 24, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Loving the new site Smitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Smitty on September 25, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Awesome, Gary! Glad to hear it!

6. Noah Blum on September 24, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Yeldon really looking solid, I wish I had more of him

• Smitty on September 25, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Yep, I wish i had more shares as well in Yeldon.

7. Adam Harris on September 25, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Nice list, love the new site.

This list actually reads like one of my auction/salary cap/keeper hybrid leagues. Hoping to keep 3 of the above at a bargain discount for 2016 and roll out RB1/2/FLX with any 3 of the 5 that look best going into next August when we declare salary contracts, pre auction draft.

• Smitty on September 25, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Thanks, Adam! Glad you love the new pad! Get ready for more!

8. David Holden on October 3, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Hey Smitty, glad to see your new site, always loved the format from the old site. Had some great debates with the DraftCalc Crew in the past, this is BMX by the way. I drafted Yeldon, am definitely hoping for his breakout game, but a recent trade I was thrilled about, I traded Hayne after he was getting the hype, for Rawls. As a Lynch owner it made sense, but Hayne being 27 it was a no-brainer. I hope the Ivory haters from the old site will give me just a tiny little mention after I stood strong against the groupthink lol! Happy to see the new site!

• Smitty on October 7, 2015 at 6:27 am

Thanks, man. Yeah, Ivory looks like a new man. He is running tougher.