fantasy football bold predictions sleepers breakouts roku-amazon-tv-49-inch macbook pro amazon Blue-Yetti-USB-Mic 25-inch-lg-ultra-wide-monitor

Sony Michel future upside

What’s everyone’s thoughts about Michel going forward? He was a 1st round pick, had high hopes of him, but I just don’t see that “it” factor. He doesn’t create much on his own, not too explosive and he’s not used much in a passing role. Why would the Pats burn a 1st round pick on a two down back? Beats me.

Would love to hear/see others thoughts.

Comments

• I think Sony Michel is a good RB talent. I watched him for a few years playing for Georgia. But he plays for Belichick who likes to do running back by community. I have him around the mid 20s when it comes to Dynasty RBs as of today. Lot can change though
    Winning Fantasy Football Championships is easier without pants on. Underwear is optional.
  • Do you think he will be a 3 down back? Idk why any team nowadays would draft a rb in the 1st, if he’s not either an elite talent like Fournette, Barkley etc or a 2 down talent.
  • G_MenG_Men Posts: 2,378
    Can he be, probably.. but Pats play situational football.. so unless he’s needed to, he probably won’t.
  • Do you think he will be a 3 down back? Idk why any team nowadays would draft a rb in the 1st, if he’s not either an elite talent like Fournette, Barkley etc or a 2 down talent.

I don't think he will be a 3 down back no... Bill Belichick for as long as I can remember has always done RBBC. Very few teams in today's NFL use a every down RB. That's what makes RBs like Gurley, Barkley, Elliot, McCaffery, Bell, DJ, Conner etc so valuable in Fantasy going into next season. They play most every snap. I put Bell in that list even though don't know what team he will play for. My prediction is he goes to the Colts.
    Winning Fantasy Football Championships is easier without pants on. Underwear is optional.
  • I agree it definitely limits those backs are probably the biggest advantage in all of fantasy. With that being said I would think the Pats would be much of a bigger offensive threat if they had a true 3 down back. But what do I know? Lol.
  • I agree it definitely limits those backs are probably the biggest advantage in all of fantasy. With that being said I would think the Pats would be much of a bigger offensive threat if they had a true 3 down back. But what do I know? Lol.

It's hard to argue with Belichicks methods with the Dynasty he has built. I've just learned to stay away from Patriots RBs if at all possible when it comes to fantasy.

It's hard to argue with Belichicks methods with the Dynasty he has built. I've just learned to stay away from Patriots RBs if at all possible when it comes to fantasy.
    Haha! Who am I to question Bill? Well said.
  • Hawk12Hawk12 Posts: 3,227
    I think they drafted him to have someone in the clubhouse as Brady ages that can pound the ball.... SOme of you sound a bit younger and do not recall Corey Dillon and Laurance Marony years, Antoine Smith... They all got a lot carries as a lead back, I feel Hoodie is heading in that direction again. I see a strong RB that we all know can catch the ball very well from his time at Georgia, its not like he forgot how....

Hoodie is holding that ace in his back pocket, maybe for a playoff run or special gameplan, maybe for next year when Gronk is gone.
  • Doobie_SnacksDoobie_Snacks Posts: 570
    edited December 2018
    Hawk12 said:

I think they drafted him to have someone in the clubhouse as Brady ages that can pound the ball.... SOme of you sound a bit younger and do not recall Corey Dillon and Laurance Marony years, Antoine Smith... They all got a lot carries as a lead back, I feel Hoodie is heading in that direction again. I see a strong RB that we all know can catch the ball very well from his time at Georgia, its not like he forgot how....

Hoodie is holding that ace in his back pocket, maybe for a playoff run or special gameplan, maybe for next year when Gronk is gone.

I'm 38 years old. I'm not saying he can't be a 3 down back I'm just saying I don't see it in the next couple years. When you have to bring up names from 10+ years ago at RB to find a bell cow for the Patriots that just shows how Belichick favors RBBC. Its been 14 years since Patriots had a 1,000 yard rusher. Where a coach like Mike Tomlin uses one RB for majority of all the snaps regardless who it is. Sony Michel very well could become a 3 down back and the bell cow. He has the talent but as of this moment I don't see it.
    I see a talented back, and we all know the Patriots won't play a guy at RB in a passing situaiton if Brady doesn't trust him with his life b/c Brady is a whiner when he gets hit or even almost hit... So until he gets that trust, James White and Burkhead will get the passing downs.

I think Sony will be the guy nexy year, if you recall he was hurt early on and missed a lot of camp. Give him some time, he's a rookie that is really in about his 8th game or so since coming back...

Also, James White is a Rb1 in PPR, don;t have to be a bellcow 25 carry guy, or a 1,000 yard rusher anymore - see Tarik Cohen, James White, Philip Lindsay
  • Hawk12 said:

I see a talented back, and we all know the Patriots won't play a guy at RB in a passing situaiton if Brady doesn't trust him with his life b/c Brady is a whiner when he gets hit or even almost hit... So until he gets that trust, James White and Burkhead will get the passing downs.

I think Sony will be the guy nexy year, if you recall he was hurt early on and missed a lot of camp. Give him some time, he's a rookie that is really in about his 8th game or so since coming back...

Also, James White is a Rb1 in PPR, don;t have to be a bellcow 25 carry guy, or a 1,000 yard rusher anymore - see Tarik Cohen, James White, Philip Lindsay

It's bc of Bill Belichick and having the talent of a James White on the team is why I can't project Sony Michel higher. I just can't see Michel coming close to RBs that are clear every down backs for their teams.
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 4,218
    Belicheck is on the record end of last season saying he wants to have a 3 down back so as to make the offense less predictable and that was what he had in mind when he drafted Michel. Being a rookie and as @Hawk12 pointed out the injuries has set that back some but I do believe if Michel can learn to handle the 3 down role BB wants him to have it.
    edited December 2018
    Iceman said:

Belicheck is on the record end of last season saying he wants to have a 3 down back so as to make the offense less predictable and that was what he had in mind when he drafted Michel. Being a rookie and as @Hawk12 pointed out the injuries has set that back some but I do believe if Michel can learn to handle the 3 down role BB wants him to have it.

I can understand him wanting a RB talent that could be a 3 down back but that doesn't mean he will only use Sony Michel as the primary back. Show me where Belichick said he wants Michel to have a 3 down role in the offense. I'm not saying he didn't say this but I can't find it and I would like to see this
    edited December 2018
    I just can't see Bilichick not using both James White and Sony Michel next season.
  • IcemanIceman Posts: 4,218
    edited December 2018
    Sorry Doobie, heard him say it but can't find where he is quoted, live in New England and see and hear stuff not always quoted. I took it to heart during the draft and ranked/picked him #2 behind Saquon and still believe it to be his intent.
    Iceman said:

Sorry Doobie, heard him say it but can't find where he is quoted, live in New England and see and hear stuff not always quoted. I took it to heart during the draft and ranked/picked him #2 behind Saquon and still believe it to be his intent.

good info Iceman - I live just 11 miles form the Eagles Stadium and know several people that work in and around the team, and a couple others that work at NFL films..... I get inside Eagles info a lot, not all of its right, but more than most ends up being so.
  • I know yesterday’s stats were a large plan of gameplan and how the Chargers plays the Pats offense, Michel did look very explosive and much better than he did in the regular season IMO.
  • GuinnessIsGoodForYouGuinnessIsGoodForYou Posts: 7,747
    edited January 15
    On any other team, Iwouldbe excited about him but not on the Patriots!